Fry words for kindergarten
Fry Sight Words List | Sight Words: Teach Your Child to Read
All the Fry sight word lists, divided into groups of 100, also available as printable PDFs. More
Five techniques for teaching Fry sight words. Learn proven ways to introduce words, reinforce learning, and correct mistakes. More
Print a set of Fry sight word flash cards, or use our generator to create your own custom cards. More
Print cards and game boards for 18 Fry sight word games. A fun way to reinforce sight words lessons! More
The Fry Sight Words list is a more modern list of words than the Dolch list, and was extended to capture the most common 1,000 words. Dr. Edward Fry developed this expanded list in the 1950s (and updated it in 1980), based on the most common words to appear in reading materials used in Grades 3-9. Learning all 1,000 words in the Fry list would equip a child to read about 90% of the words in a typical book, newspaper, or website.The Fry words are listed by the frequency with which they occur and are often broken down into groups of 100. So the first 100 Fry words are the 100 most frequently occurring words in the English language.
- 1st 100 Fry Sight Words (#1-100) a, about, all, am, an, and, are, as, at, be, been, but, by, called, can, come, could, day, did, do, down, each, find, first, for, from, get, go, had, has, have, he, her, him, his, how, I, if, in, into, is, it, its, like, long, look, made, make, many, may, more, my, no, not, now, number, of, on, one, or, other, out, part, people, said, see, she, so, some, than, that, the, their, them, then, there, these, they, this, time, to, two, up, use, was, water, way, we, were, what, when, which, who, will, with, words, would, write, you, your
- 2nd 100 Fry Sight Words (#101-200) after, again, air, also, America, animal, another, answer, any, around, ask, away, back, because, before, big, boy, came, change, different, does, end, even, follow, form, found, give, good, great, hand, help, here, home, house, just, kind, know, land, large, learn, letter, line, little, live, man, me, means, men, most, mother, move, much, must, name, need, new, off, old, only, our, over, page, picture, place, play, point, put, read, right, same, say, sentence, set, should, show, small, sound, spell, still, study, such, take, tell, things, think, three, through, too, try, turn, us, very, want, well, went, where, why, work, world, years
- 3rd 100 Fry Sight Words (#201-300) above, add, almost, along, always, began, begin, being, below, between, book, both, car, carry, children, city, close, country, cut, don’t, earth, eat, enough, every, example, eyes, face, family, far, father, feet, few, food, four, girl, got, group, grow, hard, head, hear, high, idea, important, Indian, it’s, keep, last, late, leave, left, let, life, light, list, might, mile, miss, mountains, near, never, next, night, often, once, open, own, paper, plant, real, river, run, saw, school, sea, second, seem, side, something, sometimes, song, soon, start, state, stop, story, talk, those, thought, together, took, tree, under, until, walk, watch, while, white, without, young
- 4th 100 Fry Sight Words (#301-400) across, against, area, become, best, better, birds, black, body, certain, cold, color, complete, covered, cried, didn’t, dog, door, draw, during, early, easy, ever, fall, farm, fast, field, figure, fire, fish, five, friends, ground, happened, heard, himself, hold, horse, hours, however, hundred, I’ll, king, knew, listen, low, map, mark, measure, money, morning, music, north, notice, numeral, order, passed, pattern, piece, plan, problem, products, pulled, questions, reached, red, remember, rock, room, seen, several, ship, short, since, sing, slowly, south, space, stand, step, sun, sure, table, today, told, top, toward, town, travel, true, unit, upon, usually, voice, vowel, war, waves, whole, wind, wood
- 5th 100 Fry Sight Words (#401-500) able, ago, among, ball, base, became, behind, boat, box, bread, bring, brought, building, built, cannot, carefully, check, circle, class, clear, common, contain, correct, course, dark, decided, deep, done, dry, English, equation, explain, fact, feel, filled, finally, fine, fly, force, front, full, game, gave, government, green, half, heat, heavy, hot, inches, include, inside, island, known, language, less, machine, material, minutes, note, nothing, noun, object, ocean, oh, pair, person, plane, power, produce, quickly, ran, rest, road, round, rule, scientists, shape, shown, six, size, special, stars, stay, stood, street, strong, surface, system, ten, though, thousands, understand, verb, wait, warm, week, wheels, yes, yet
- 6th 100 Fry Sight Words (#501-600) anything, arms, beautiful, believe, beside, bill, blue, brother, can’t, cause, cells, center, clothes, dance, describe, developed, difference, direction, discovered, distance, divided, drive, drop, edge, eggs, energy, Europe, exercise, farmers, felt, finished, flowers, forest, general, gone, grass, happy, heart, held, instruments, interest, job, kept, lay, legs, length, love, main, matter, meet, members, million, mind, months, moon, paint, paragraph, past, perhaps, picked, present, probably, race, rain, raised, ready, reason, record, region, represent, return, root, sat, shall, sign, simple, site, sky, soft, square, store, subject, suddenly, sum, summer, syllables, teacher, test, third, train, wall, weather, west, whether, wide, wild, window, winter, wish, written
- 7th 100 Fry Sight Words (#601-700) act, Africa, age, already, although, amount, angle, appear, baby, bear, beat, bed, bottom, bright, broken, build, buy, care, case, cat, century, consonant, copy, couldn’t, count, cross, dictionary, died, dress, either, everyone, everything, exactly, factors, fight, fingers, floor, fraction, free, French, gold, hair, hill, hole, hope, ice, instead, iron, jumped, killed, lake, laughed, lead, let’s, lot, melody, metal, method, middle, milk, moment, nation, natural, outside, per, phrase, poor, possible, pounds, pushed, quiet, quite, remain, result, ride, rolled, sail, scale, section, sleep, smiled, snow, soil, solve, someone, son, speak, speed, spring, stone, surprise, tall, temperature, themselves, tiny, trip, type, village, within, wonder
- 8th 100 Fry Sight Words (#701-800) alone, art, bad, bank, bit, break, brown, burning, business, captain, catch, caught, cents, child, choose, clean, climbed, cloud, coast, continued, control, cool, cost, decimal, desert, design, direct, drawing, ears, east, else, engine, England, equal, experiment, express, feeling, fell, flow, foot, garden, gas, glass, God, grew, history, human, hunting, increase, information, itself, joined, key, lady, law, least, lost, maybe, mouth, party, pay, period, plains, please, practice, president, received, report, ring, rise, row, save, seeds, sent, separate, serve, shouted, single, skin, statement, stick, straight, strange, students, suppose, symbols, team, touch, trouble, uncle, valley, visit, wear, whose, wire, woman, wrote, yard, you’re, yourself
- 9th 100 Fry Sight Words (#801-900) addition, army, bell, belong, block, blood, blow, board, bones, branches, cattle, chief, compare, compound, consider, cook, corner, crops, crowd, current, doctor, dollars, eight, electric, elements, enjoy, entered, except, exciting, expect, famous, fit, flat, fruit, fun, guess, hat, hit, indicate, industry, insects, interesting, Japanese, lie, lifted, loud, major, mall, meat, mine, modern, movement, necessary, observe, park, particular, planets, poem, pole, position, process, property, provide, rather, rhythm, rich, safe, sand, science, sell, send, sense, seven, sharp, shoulder, sight, silent, soldiers, spot, spread, stream, string, suggested, supply, swim, terms, thick, thin, thus, tied, tone, trade, tube, value, wash, wasn’t, weight, wife, wings, won’t
- 10th 100 Fry Sight Words (#901-1000) action, actually, adjective, afraid, agreed, ahead, allow, apple, arrived, born, bought, British, capital, chance, chart, church, column, company, conditions, corn, cotton, cows, create, dead, deal, death, details, determine, difficult, division, doesn’t, effect, entire, especially, evening, experience, factories, fair, fear, fig, forward, France, fresh, Greek, gun, hoe, huge, isn’t, led, level, located, march, match, molecules, northern, nose, office, opposite, oxygen, plural, prepared, pretty, printed, radio, repeated, rope, rose, score, seat, settled, shoes, shop, similar, sir, sister, smell, solution, southern, steel, stretched, substances, suffix, sugar, tools, total, track, triangle, truck, underline, various, view, Washington, we’ll, western, win, women, workers, wouldn’t, wrong, yellow
- All Fry Sight Words by group
- All Fry Sight Words in order of frequency
- All Fry Sight Words in alphabetical order
Leave a Reply
Fry Sight Word Lists by Grade LevelFry Sight Word Lists by Grade Level - Fry Word Games & Activities
Fry’s Instant Words are the most common words used in English, listed in order of frequency, and include all parts of speech. Also known as Fry sight words or high frequency words, they must be easily recognized in order to achieve reading fluency. Fry’s sight words lists, by grade level, account for 50 to 75 percent of the words used in schoolbooks, library books, newspapers, and magazines, so it’s important for children to learn the correct spelling and to recognize the words instantly by sight. This allows the child to concentrate on reading comprehension without having to stop and decode each word. VocabularySpellingCity’s Fry word games and activities help students retain information and apply their knowledge in and out of the classroom.
In 1996, Dr. Edward Fry expanded on the Dolch sight word lists and published the book Fry 1000 Instant Words.
Fry Words Sample List
Click 'Continue' to play with this list or enter your own
Play and Learn
Play the game using your words
Fry’s research found:
- 25 words make up approximately one-third of all published text.
- 100 sight words comprise approximately 50 percent of all of the words found in publications.
- 300 words make up approximately 65 percent of all written material.
It is recommended that:
- The first 100 fry words, considered the most frequently occurring in the English language, should be mastered in Grade 1.
- The fry second 100 sight words should be mastered in 2nd Grade.
- The third 100 words should be mastered in Grade 3.
- The remaining fry sight word lists (words 301-1000) should be mastered in Grades 4-5.
Learn more about Sight Words
Spelling TeachMe is a Fry word activity that helps students know and memorize spelling and vocabulary words.
Play the Fry word game Spelling TeachMe with a 2nd grade sight word list, or any other grade level, for Fry words.
Word Unscramble provides practice rearranging letters to correctly spell words on students’ Fry sight word lists by grade level.
Play Word Unscramble with 4th grade sight word lists, or any other grade level, for Fry words.
Missing Letter provides practice recognizing letters to complete a word.
Play Missing Letter with a 6th grade sight word list, or any other grade level, for Fry words.
10 tips for parents on how to make a child's day in kindergarten good Anna
In the modern world, a large number of proposals for parents have appeared. Which kindergarten should I send my child to? Where will he be better, more interesting, safer and more comfortable? Each parent sets himself his own goals in the search for a children's institution in which his child, in his opinion, will be better.
There are a lot of offers for parents. Kindergartens according to the method of Maria Montessori, Waldorf kindergartens, private kindergartens with different developmental biases, multilingual, standard (post-Soviet), etc.
Each family has its own requirements for kindergartens and is looking for a kindergarten that will meet these requirements. And this is the most correct way - after all, the less the parents' anxiety about whether the kindergarten is suitable, the calmer the child himself will adapt to the new place.
At preschool age, the child has the basic needs of his development:
- the need for security,
- need for movement,
- need for acceptance,
- need for play and communication,
- need for new information about the surrounding world.
If dad and mom are happy with their choice, their parental experiences are minimal, which means that the child has confidence and disposition towards new changes in his life.
As a matter of fact, the kindergarten is the first step of the child into an independent life in the big world, where he is introduced into the society. By the age of 3-4, one can observe how children have a need to communicate with other children, how they learn from each other, how they copy the emotions and behavior of other children. All this happens when the child's social "I" matures. That is, there is an urgent need to communicate with peers and internal questions arise about who I am among them. what I can and what I can.
How can you help your child have a positive first experience in kindergarten?
Kindergarten parent introduction
Carefully research all possible suitable kindergarten options. Look at the room itself, where the child will directly play, sleep, eat. If you like the atmosphere and comfort, then your baby will like all this. If you are in doubt about something, do your best to change or correct it.
Sharing my experience as a mother. When the parents and I agreed on the issue of comfort in the group, we brought the teachers children's pictures on the wall, colorful colorful pillows for sitting on the rug during group classes. All these details create a general mood and disposition of the child to a pleasant environment and tranquility. Children's world is bright, fragrant and cozy. Try to look at the situation through the eyes of a child, and if you yourself like it, then there is every chance that your baby will like it too.
Getting to know caregivers
The same careful approach should be applied to people who will be in contact with children during the day. The human factor is one of the most important in choosing a kindergarten. Which teacher will spend time with children can indicate a positive attitude and desire to attend kindergarten. As parents, you have the intuition to feel if the teacher can "pick up the key" to your child.
As a rule, people who sincerely love children and know how to get along with them can be seen right away, so listen to what your parental heart tells you. Try to establish contact with the teacher through human communication, during the conversation, tell the teachers about the characteristics of your child’s character, what he likes, what he doesn’t like, what can calm him down, and what can upset him. Give some hint of your parental observations of the child and how to deal with different situations.
Introducing a child to kindergarten
For a child of preschool age, innovations in his life can be a stressful factor, and if this is also marked by separation from his mother for a whole day, then the child will find a large number of reasons for concern. Therefore, it is better to prepare the baby in advance for the first visit to the kindergarten. Try to come to the territory of the kindergarten several times as an introductory walk to talk about what this place is, why the children come here and what they do here.
Tell the child about the function of the educator and about his tasks, focus the child's attention on that. that he will always be helped in any matters and the adults nearby will always provide him with protection. In this way, you will form confidence in a new place in a child.
I am not in favor of telling children that kindergarten is work. Many families comment on the child’s going to kindergarten with the following words: “My dad and I go to work in the morning and you also go to kindergarten for your work. ” I don’t think these are soothing words for a child’s soul. Since the main leading activity of a child is up to 7 -8 years old is a game, it is better to explain to the child his going to the kindergarten with the following words: “You go to the kindergarten to play and make friends with other children, and the teachers teach you interesting things.”
First visits to the kindergarten – time to adjust
It is better to start the first visits to the kindergarten with a small number of hours. If possible, try to pick up the child for the first few days before daytime sleep. Why is it so important? To form a child's interest in attending kindergarten, you need to make this event as positive as possible. When the child makes new acquaintances, gets used to the caregivers, feels safe, his fear and anxiety will fade away and he will be able to better perceive the organizational issues and the requirements of discipline in the children's group.
When a child becomes motivated and willing to come to a kindergarten group where friends and teachers are waiting for you, then his inner tension decreases, the feeling of sadness from separation from his mother is replaced by new emotions and new experiences of communicating with peers. This means that the child can plunge into games with peers and classes with educators throughout the day.
Why do children cry when they come to the kindergarten
The appearance of a kindergarten in a child's life is always a new system of coordinates and rules, in which it is not always easy for a child to navigate. In the home environment, the child was calmer, safer and more predictable. Close people surround with care and help, the atmosphere is familiar and studied. What happens when a child becomes part of society in his children's group? He does not always feel safe, he does not have the opportunity to turn to his parents for help, he does not always know how to solve problems that arise in the process of communication, he makes efforts on himself and manifests himself independently in a peer group, he must independently control his emotions without HELP of relatives, he must declare himself among children, that is, learn to arouse interest in himself in order to find, relatively speaking, "a place in the sun" and make friends and consolidate this communication.
For a child of preschool age and even primary school age, this is indeed a very difficult task, which at first causes a lot of anxiety and fear. But gradually receiving family support, help and accompaniment of educators, as well as revealing their own personal potential, the child masters communication skills and the ability to benefit and enjoy this communication.
Separation with parents throughout the day in the kindergarten is always a difficult stage for children, because all the best and most pleasant in their children's world is connected with the family, and the future is still foggy and unknown. But gradually, step by step, the child learns to build new interests, contacts and important events in his kindergarten in order to further reveal the strengths of his personality and develop his human qualities.
It's important to realize that the crying of a child when they leave their parents in kindergarten does not necessarily reflect how they feel in kindergarten for the rest of the day!
But there are a number of factors that affect the mental well-being of the child throughout the day spent in kindergarten. After making sure that the child had enough rest and sleep, the food on the eve was sufficient and balanced, the morning started positively, parents can confidently assume that his day in kindergarten will pass on a positive wave. All of the above will sooner or later become good life habits for your child.
Now I want to share with you 10 tips to help your child have a good day at kindergarten
1. Make sure your child is well rested. If the child is tired, he is likely to be moody and it will be difficult for him to concentrate in a group. Sleep is very important for a child's mood and physical development.
2. The child's breakfast should be balanced. Even for an adult it is very difficult to concentrate if he is hungry. Food is a very important component for a good active day.
3. Try to create a quiet and calm morning. In most cases, morning preparations are a cocktail of haste, screams, nerves, etc. Teach your child the night before to prepare some of his personal things that he will take with him to kindergarten tomorrow. Speak with him questions that are important to him so that he does not forget anything and this does not upset him. The goal is to make your morning as crazy as possible. If you are tense and nervous, your child will feel the same way.
4. Come early to kindergarten. Try to bring your child before the class starts. This solves several problems at once: together you can calmly say goodbye to each other and thus reduce stress, your child will feel calmer and will be able to familiarize himself with the situation in the group, find a comfortable activity for himself and communicate with other children.
5. On the way to the kindergarten, talk about what he will do today, with whom he wants to play on the playground, what he liked in class yesterday. Reflections on these topics give stimulus and interest in anticipation of a new day in the kindergarten.
6. Allow your child to bring a toy to the kindergarten, which will remind him of home and reduce his anxiety about separation from his family.
7. Be sure to tell your child before leaving kindergarten “Goodbye! I'll be waiting for our meeting!". Many educators suggest that parents simply sneak out of the kindergarten locker room unnoticed. But such actions can be devastating for a child when mom or dad suddenly disappears. It is very important to say goodbye and reassure your baby that you will come back for him, even if the initial "Goodbye" makes him cry.
8. Create your own morning ritual with your child. For example, drink tea together to your favorite song. Put secret notes with your drawings (smiles, hearts, etc.) in the pocket of your child's clothes.
Make up a short poem for the whole family about the coming day, for example:
Dad and mom go to work,
Our child is going to the garden.
Let's wish and believe,
Day of smile will bring!
Add more physical contact with the baby, gentle hugs and kisses will give confidence and create a good mood for the whole family.
9. Involve educators. Your child will be more ready to leave you and enter the kindergarten group if there is a caring teacher nearby. A teacher who knows how to involve a child in an interesting conversation will be able to distract the child's attention from the care of mom and dad.
10. Tell your child specifically when you come for him. Preschool children have no concept and sense of time. "I'll pick you up in the evening" absolutely does not carry any soothing information for the child. For inner confidence and relaxation, it is important to indicate when exactly the baby will meet you. For example: “When you wake up after your afternoon nap and have an afternoon snack, I will come for you.”
Adaptation to kindergarten is individual for each child. Someone can get used to a new environment and new rules in a month, while for someone it will take several months. The new life of the child is getting better gradually. And with the understanding and support of the family, this always happens easier and more confidently.
Good luck to all children and parents on this journey!
Anna Pokrovskaya about adolescence
When adolescence comes and what parents should do
01/14/2019 2029 0
On children's hysteria and parental reactions
Psychologist's advice, what to do with hysteria and aggression
12.02.2019 4408 1
Anna Pokrovskaya: “The child understands the game child in the game. that “this adult loves me”
Why is it important and necessary for parents to play with their children and how to do it
12/13/2018 7490 0
MBDOU Kindergarten No. 15 in Murmansk. Average age (4-5 years)
Object words: traffic, road, sidewalk, crossing, traffic light, stop, street, crossroads, accident, policeman, traffic controller, wand, whistle. Land transport: car, bus, tram, trolleybus, truck, van, taxi, motorcycle, bicycle.
Description words: road, pedestrian, police. Action words: observe, cross, violate, regulate, follow, leave, drive in, drive up, drive around, drive through, arrive.
Purpose: to consolidate the ability to form and use relative adjectives.
- Rubber wheel. It (what?) ... (rubber).
- Machine door made of metal. She (what?) ... (metal).
- Plastic steering wheel. He (what?) ... (plastic).
- Leather seat. It (what?) ... (leather).
- Rubber rod. He (what?) ... (rubber).
- Iron stop. She (what?) ... (iron).
- Plastic whistle. He (what?) ... (plastic).
- Glass headlights. They (what?) ... (glass).
Purpose: formation of relative adjectives.
Car tire (what?) - car
Bus ticket (what?) - bus
Car oil (what?) - machine.
Tram, bus, trolley bus stop (what?) - tram, etc.
An adult says a phrase, children add the last word: “permitted” or “forbidden”.
Walk on the sidewalk... (permitted)!
Crossing the road in front of a nearby vehicle... (forbidden)!
Crossing the street at a red traffic light... (forbidden)!
Help the elderly to cross the street...(allowed)!
Walking around a stopped bus in front... (forbidden)!
Run out onto the roadway... (prohibited)!
Respect traffic rules... (permitted)!
Moved away from home - drove up to the house;
drove up the hill - ... ,
left the garage - ... ,
flew away on an airplane - ... ,
- sailed away on a boat.
Traffic light - traffic light, pedestrian, road, street, sidewalk, house.
Road - roads, sidewalk, crossing, traffic light, stop, street, intersection, accident
One intersection, two (three, four) intersections, five intersections traffic lights, bus stop, street
There are traffic lights -
Obey them without. .. (Dispute!)
Wait for the signal for ... (Movement.)
Green light opened the road:
Remove guys ... (can!)
Red light says:
Stop! Dangerous! Way... (Closed!)
Everyone be true to the rule:
Keep... (To the right side!)
There is no ... (DO NOT play!) on the road
I never sleep,
I look at the road.
I'll tell you when to stop,
When to start moving. (Traffic light)
You can't take this ribbon
And you can't weave it into a pigtail.
She lies on the ground,
Transport runs along it. (Road)
Under the feet of Seryozhka
He boldly walks along it,
And all the people follow him. (Zebra)
The car will not work here.
The main one here is a pedestrian.
Not to interfere with each other,
You need to keep the right path. ( Pavement)
Standing on the roadside,
Silently talking to us.
We are ready to help everyone.
The main thing is to understand them. (Road signs)
Two roads walked for a long time
And they approached each other.
They didn’t quarrel,
They crossed and ran further.
What is this place,
We are all interested. (Intersection)
What kind of zebra is on the road?
Everyone is standing with their mouths open,
Waiting for the green light to flash.
So this is ... (Transition)
What kind of transport is this
What is taking you home.
He runs back and forth,
Resting against the wires. (Trolleybus)
“We are drivers”
We drive, we drive,
We press the pedal.
Turn gas on and off.
We look intently into the distance.
Wipers clean off drops
Right-left - cleanliness.
The wind ruffles your hair:
We are drivers everywhere!
There are a lot of traffic rules:
Raz - Attention road!
Two - traffic lights,
Three - see traffic sign,
And four - "crossing".
All you need to know the rules
And always follow them.
(“Step fingers on the surface of the table)
(Bend fingers alternately on both hands.)
If the light is red,
So it's dangerous to move.
Light green says:
"Come in, the way is open!"
Yellow light - warning:
Wait for the signal to move.
(Children stick mugs on traffic lights, in accordance with the location of
Galpershtein L. “Fence along the sidewalk”, “Slagbaum”, “tram and its family”
Ginzburg N. “Wheel”
Ivanov A. “How Underfective Friends crossed”,0002 Klimenko V. “Who is most important on the street”
Malevanny K. “Adventures of Baba Yaga”